Monday, July 30, 2012

DIY CAPES

When thinking up ideas for Narnia I knew capes had to be incorporated some how. Who doesn't love running around in a cape. So, when we were thinking of cost effective ways to make capes we began thinking outside of the lines. 

We had some old table clothes lying around and I knew they could easily be transformed.  I simply cut out rectangle shapes in three different sizes; small, medium, and large. I then purchased some gold ribbon in bulk, that is the less expensive way to buy ribbon, I would recommend Mood if your in the NYC area. Mood carries all the ribbon and various colors you could ever imagine. I simply attached the ribbon by sewing a straight line, make sure you have enough ribbon hanging on each side so you can tie the cape. 

The ribbon we choose was gold, which went well against the burgundy fabric. We then used fabric markers to embellish the edges. For each project we made a few examples for the children to work from. 





 The children loved making these very simple capes and they truly brought Narnia to life. 


-Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment